Friday, March 4, 2016

The Suffering


24789796

Today's post is on The Suffering by Rin Chupeco. It is the second in her The Girl from the Well series. It is 313 pages long and is published by Sourcebooks. The cover has Yukiko with her back to the reader looking into a dark forest. As it is the second in the series, you need to have read the first one to understand the story. There is some mild language, no sex, and violence in this book. The story is told from the first person close of Tark the main character. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Seventeen-year-old Tark knows what it is to be powerless. But Okiku changed that. A restless spirit who ended life as a victim and started death as an avenger, she’s groomed Tark to destroy the wicked. But when darkness pulls them deep into Aokigahara, known as Japan’s suicide forest, Okiku’s justice becomes blurred, and Tark is the one who will pay the price…

Review- It took me a little while to get into this one but once I did I really enjoyed it. The only thing that I wanted from this book that I did not get was the dual perspectives like in the first one. In the first book The Girl from the Well we moved from Okiku to Tark but in this one we only read things from Tark's perspective. That said the story itself is very fun and interesting. We learn more about living in a world that does not believe in ghosts anymore. Tark has some very good character moments. He does grow and Okiku is still very interesting. I would have loved to see some of the major plot points from her perspective. More good mythology and in general more of what I really liked about the first book. I am curious about how Chupeco is going to end the series.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment