Friday, June 26, 2015

Working for The Devil

25175458

Today's post is on Working for The Devil by Lilith Saintcrow. It is the first in her Dante Valentine series. It is 255 pages long and is published by Orbit. I bought this in an omnibus edition so the cover is black with Danny in the center looking cool. The intended reader is someone who likes gritty urban fantasy, interesting magic systems, and good writing. Because of the subject matter adults only for the best. There is lots of language, sex, and lots of violence in this book. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From Amazon.com- When the Devil needs a rogue demon killed, who does he call?
The Player: Necromance-for-hire Dante Valentine is choosy about her jobs. Hot tempered and with nerves of steel, she can raise the dead like nobody's business. But one rainy Monday morning, everything goes straight to hell.
The Score: The Devil hires Dante to eliminate a rogue demon: Vardimal Santino. In return, he will let her live. It's an offer she can't refuse.
The Catch: How do you kill something that can't die?
 
Review- A very interesting and excellent read. The magic system, the characters, the dialog, the world in general; everything is just about perfect. I like Saintcrow. I started of reading her new steampunk series and decided that I needed to read some of her older stuff. I was right. Dante is a great heroine. She is interesting, she knows who she is, and she handles most of the bad stuff in this novel with grace. The magic system is something that I really loved. This world is like ours but it is an alternate reality with all the fun stuff that we all wish were real. Dante is a necromance but she does not raise the dead, just their spirits mostly for lawyers but she is the most powerful one on the planet at the moment. Her love interest I liked. He was not annoying. In fact other than Dante ex-lover I liked all the character's, including the Devil. I look forward to reading the next book.
 
I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment