Friday, May 29, 2015

A Natural History of Dragons: A memoir by Lady Trent

12974372

Today's post is on A Natural History of Dragons: A memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan. It is 334 pages long and is published by TOR. The cover is white with a dragon it with the different parts labeled like for a science book. The intended reader is someone who likes fantasy, historical fictional, and dragons. There is no sex, mild language, and violence in this book. The story is told from the perspective of the main character. There Be Spoilers Ahead.


From the dust jacket- All the world, from Scirland to the farthest reaches of Eriga, knows Isabella, Lady Trent, to be the world's preeminent dragon naturalist. She is the remarkable woman who brought the study of dragons out of the misty shadows of myth and misunderstanding into the clear light of modern science. But before she become the illustrious figure we know today, there was a bookish young woman whose passion for learning, natural history, and yes, dragons defied the stifling conventions of her day.
Here at last, in her own words, is the true story of a pioneering spirit who risked her reputation, her prospects, and her fragile flesh and bone to satisfy her scientific curiosity; of how she sought true love and happiness despite her lamentable eccentricities; and of her thrilling expedition to the perilous mountains of Vystrana, where she made the first of many historic discoveries that would change the world forever.


Review- How can I express how good this book is. It is very well written, the character's are all interesting with Isabella being most, the plot is good, the dialog is very real. The only thing I wanted that I did not get from this book was more. I do not want to wait for the next book, which I have already bought. The style is fun, as it is written not just a memoir but a tell-all about herself and those around her. I like books written in this style. Isabella is a very sympathetic character. The time period that this is to be like is the Victorian age, so Isabella feels the limits of what she is supposed to do. But she does not let that stop her. I look forward to reading more by Brennan and more about Isabella.


I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment