Monday, January 27, 2014

Wicked As They Come

12381722

Today’s post is Wicked As They Come by Delilah S. Dawson. It is 395 pages long and is the first in her Blud series. The cover is dark blue with the main male character on it with no shirt wearing a jacket with clockwork gears on it. It is told from the first person perspective of the main character Tish. The intended reader is someone who likes romance, Steampunk, or vampires done in a new way. There is language, sex, and violence in this book so be warned 18 and up just to be safe. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- When Tish Everett forces open the ruby locket she finds at an estate sale, she had no idea that a deliciously rakish Bludman had cast a spell just for her. She wakes up in a surreal world, where Criminy Stain, the dashing proprietor of a magical traveling circus, curiously awaits. At Criminy’s electric touch, Tish glimpses a tantalizing future, but she also foresees her ultimate doom. Before she can decide whether to risk her fate with the charming daredevil, the locket disappears, and with it, her only chance to return home. Tish and Criminy battle roaring sea monsters and thundering bludmares, vengeful ghosts and crooked Coppers in a treacherous race to recover the necklace from the evil Blud-hating Magistrate. But if they succeed, will Tish forsake her fanged suitor and return to her normal life or will she take a change on an unpredictable but dangerous destiny with the Bludman she’s coming to love?

Review- This was a fun read. After all the heavy and very dark reading that I have been doing this was a fun, light-hearted, non-serious break that I really needed. Dawson is a solid writer who can world build very well. She does not take her plot or characters too seriously and really with this set up she does not need to. The only I could not do was give the character’s accents as I was reading. I have no idea why I could not do that but I could not. With the exception of Tish all the characters are a type of British. The world that Dawson created is like ours but just a little off and I liked seeing the differences and the similar features. I doubt that Dawson will return to Tish and Criminy but I would like to know more about their lives after the book. Tish does change the world in this book and I know that we will see the fall out but I like to experience it with her. That said I will be buying her novel Wicked As She Wants when I money to do so.

I give this book a Four and half out of Five Stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment