Monday, January 6, 2014

The 5th Wave

16101128

Today’s post is on The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. It is the first in a new series and is 457 pages long. It is published by Putnam. The cover has one of the main characters on the cover with golden light making the trees and her be in shadow. The intended reader is older young adult and adults and I think that is for the best. There is strong language, hinting at sex, and very graphic violence; so be warned. The story is told in both chapters and sections. Sections change the point of view from one of the four main characters. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th Wave, just one rule applies: trust no one.
Now it’s the dawn of the 5th Wace, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother- or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
From award-winning author Rick Yancey comes a gripping epic of catastrophic loss, unthinkable odds, and unflinching courage.

Review- I am a pretty big Yancey fan and I do not think that he disappoints with this new series. The story is fast-paced and goes places that I was not expecting for a YA novel. There are some very strong language and child soldiers in this novel. The scenes are intense and very emotional because of what Yancey is talking about. I do not think that he is making a statement about the use of child soldiers but he does not color code it. He shows a very brutal world with little compassion and less trust. Cassie is tough and I liked her. I like how normal she is in spite of everything going on around her. One of the other main characters Ben I did not really care for. I cannot put my finger on why but I just did not connect with him and I really did not care that he survived the story. I look forward to seeing where Yancey is going with this series and I hope that his new publisher treats him and his series better than his old one did.

I give this book Four and half stars out of Five. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment