Friday, January 17, 2014

Hero


17155787

Today’s post is on Hero by Alethea Kontis. It is a companion to Enchanted her first book. It is 282 pages long and is published by Harcourt. The cover has the main character Saturday looking up at the reader with a sword in her and in a dress but I will get to that in my review. The intended reader is young adult but if you like fairy tales retold or read the first one then you should like this. It is told from third person close of the two main characters moving from one to the other at varying points in the story. There is no sex, no language, and all violence is fantasy like. 12 and up should be fine. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the book jacket- “You got a sword and a destiny. That’s more than most people get.” For rough-and-tumble Saturday, it’s no fun being the only one in the family without any magical talent. Too tall, too strong, too normal, that’s her lot in life- until the day she accidentally creates an ocean in the backyard.
Suddenly things are looking up. With her sword in tow, Saturday sets sail on the sudden sea, only to find herself kidnapped and whisked off to the mountain at the top of the world. Held captive by a blind witch who gives her a series of impossible tasks, Saturday is aided by a very appealing young man who knows all the witch’s tricks. But he turns out to be under a spell that only Saturday can break- and that will only happen when this seemingly normal girl digs deep enough to find her own hidden talents.

Review- I really enjoyed Enchanted but this one was not as good. I think that because Kontis is gearing up for a series or at least another book. So that made this book feel for me undone. Now about the cover Saturday never wears a dress with one exception in this book and it is not blue or pretty. Saturday would not be caught dead in a dress. That said I liked the book. All the characters are fun and believable and I am looking forward to the next one in the series. I do not know what sister will the main character but I cannot wait to find out. Great and fun magic with humor and some romance but not too much in this one. The main point of the story is about Saturday getting to see herself in a new way. In Enchanted Saturday does not think that she is special in a very special family. But by the end of this novel she knows that she is and that she has a great destiny before her. Expect a fun time with good writing, fun characters, and an interesting world.

I give this book a Four of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment