Friday, January 3, 2014

The Hero of Ages

3362870

Today’s post is on The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. It is the final volume in the Mistborn trilogy. It is 748 pages long including a list names and terms list at the end. It is published by TOR. The cover has Vin and Elend, two of the main characters, standing with a ruined city behind them. There is no language, no sex but a lot of violence in this novel but the violence is not very graphic and very fantasy-like. The story is told from varying points of view moving from one of the main characters to another as the story moves. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Killing the Lord Ruler to end the Final Empire was obviously the right thing to do, wasn’t it? With the return of the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists, increasingly heavy ashfalls, and ever more powerful earthquakes, Vin and Elend are no longer so sure. Long ago, Ruin- one of the primal beings who created the world- was promised the eventual right to destroy all things. Now that Vin has been tricked into releasing him from the Well of Ascension, Ruin apparently intends to collect.
The conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy fulfills all the promise of the first two books. Revelations abound, connections rooted in early chapters of the series click into place, and surprises, as satisfying as they are stunning, blossom like fireworks to dazzle and delight. It all leads up to a finale unmatched for originality and audacity that will you rubbing your eyes in wonder, as if awaking from an amazing dream.

Review- This has to be one of the best final novels and best trilogies that I have ever read. When I finished the book I had tears in my eyes because the ending was just so beautiful. Only once before has a finale moved me so much and that was for The Darkangel trilogy’s final volume. Sanderson does so much right in this novel and series that I hardly know where to begin. The screws of the plot just get tighter and tighter as the story goes on. When I would stop reading I would say that. I love Vin so much. She is a real person, Sanderson makes her so awesome and real. She has thoughts, hopes, and dreams. Vin is the heart of this story but she is not the Hero of Ages. When the Hero comes to realize who he is; that is one of the most beautiful moments in the story. The ending to this series is perfect. I cannot think of anything that I would change about it. Sanderson has made a lifelong fan out of me.

I give this book and series Five out of Five stars. I bought with my own money, I proudly own it, and I will recommend this series to anyone who like high fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment