Friday, January 10, 2014

The World Above

7107790

Today’s post is on The World Above by Cameron Dokey. It is part of the “Once Upon A Time” series and is 175 pages long. It is published by Simon Pulse. The cover has a pretty young woman standing by and looking at a beanstalk. The intended reader is young adult or someone who likes fairy tales. The story is told from Gen’s point of view. There is no sex, no violence, and no language in this book but it is written for a young adult reader in mind. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Gen and her twin brother, Jack, were raised with their mother’s tales of life in the World Above. Gen is skeptical, but adventurous Jack believes the stories- and trades the family cow doe magical beans. Their mother rejoices, knowing they can finally return to their royal home.
When Jack plants the beans and climbs the enchanted stalk, he is captured bu the tyrant who now rules the land. Gen sets off to rescue her brother, but danger awaits her in the World Above. For finding Jack may mean losing her heart…

Review- This book is a lite, fun read and just what I needed after finishing the Mistborn trilogy. It is a combination of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood. I liked Gen and her world a lot. I cannot think of anything that I did not enjoy about this book. It was not reinventing the genre of retelling but it a solid and fun retelling. I normally find Jack to be very annoying but he is not in this book. That could be because he is not the main character and not really on camera too much. The setting is what makes this book really fun. Dokey can describe a world. She makes it very vivid, real, and interesting. But I keep comes back to the word fun when I think about how to talk about this book. It is fun. If you are looking for in-depth character study then this is not the book for you. But you want a fun read that you can just enjoy then pick up this or any of the series.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I was given this book as a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment