Monday, October 20, 2014

Hair Raising

15817010

Today’s post is on Hair Raising by Kevin J Anderson. It is the third in his Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series. It is 302 pages long and is published by Kensington. The cover has Dan with a client, Rusty, as they walk through the Unnatural Quarter together with chaos in the background. There is some mild language, very bad jokes, and some violence in this book. The intended reader is someone who likes humor and urban fantasy. The story is told from the first person close of the main character. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Ready-To-Were
The fur really flies when a serial scalper stalks the supernatural citizens of the Unnatural Quarter, targeting werewolves- and what’s sadder the a chrome-domes lycanthrope? Zombie P.I. Dan Shamble is on the case, trying to stop an all-out gang war between full-time and full-moon werewolves. As he combs through the tangled clues to hunt down the bald facts, things get hairy fast.
Shamble lurches though a loony landscape of voodoo tattoo artists, illicit coctatrice fights, body builders assembling make-your-own-human kits, and perhaps the scariest of all, crazed fans in town for the Worldwide Horror Convention. Yet the reign of hair-raising terror grows longer. If Shamble can’t snip this off at the roots, the whole world could end up howling mad.

Review- In the third Dan Shamble series we get some hairy action. Everything from werewolf rumbles to zombie bathhouses in this novel. The humor is just like in the first two so I was pleased. I like that Anderson is really getting into world building this volume. We know about how the world becomes what it is but he added some nice details now. With the Worldwide Horror Convention in town we get to see some added color, so to speak. I think that the dialog is sharper in this one than previous and that is a good thing. More jokes in the ongoing narrative instead of just in the dialog. I wish we spent more time at the Horror Con but that is the only thing that I wanted more of. I do enjoy the metaness of Dan Shamble novels being written in the Dan Shamble world. I like that he has fans of his novels. I get a kick out of this whole series but I understand that humor is hard to write and when you find it written well you just cannot miss it. I recommend this series.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment