Monday, October 13, 2014

don’t look back

13418925

Today’s post is on don’t look back by Jennifer L. Armentrout.. It is a stand-alone novel. It is 369 pages long and is published by Hyperion. The cover is dark brown with a ballerina figurine in front of a cracked mirror with another one standing a different position in the mirror. There is language, talk of sex, sex, and violence in this book. The intended reader is young adult who wants mystery with some real life problems added in. The story is told from the first person perspective of the main character. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all- popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend.
Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tried to piece together her life from before, she realizes it’s one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took “mean girl” to a whole new level, and it’s clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She’s getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she’s falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for- even when the old Sam treated him like trash.
But Cassie is still missing, and the facts about what happened to her that night aren’t just buried deep inside of Sam’s memory- someone else knows; someone who wants to makes sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally more on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?

Review- This book surprised me. I was expecting to enjoy myself but have some moments of ‘I want this scene to over’ or something like that and I expected to both know the killer and the reason pretty quickly. Well I did not have a ‘I want this over’ during this book and while I did guess the killer right I did not get the reason right. I think that one thing that I really enjoyed about this book was that I have not read anything like this in a long time. The YA mystery/thriller scene I think is pretty bare at the moment or at the very least no one else is writing them like this at the moment. It made me think of Caroline B. Cooney from the 90s’; at least that is when I read her, but with sex in the novel. There is a light sex scene was not too intense but probably will get the younger than me readers. The killer was who I thought but the reason did get me. I thought sex would be the reason and it was not. I was impressed. If Armentrout writes more mysteries I will probably read them.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment