Monday, February 11, 2013

The Tomb

The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1)
Today's post is on 'The Tomb' by F. Paul Wilson; it is the first Repairman Jack novel. It is published by Tor, originally in 1984, but it has been up-dated in 2004. It is 428 pages long with a author's note at the back about all his books that happen in his Secret History of the World. The cover has the New York skyline on top with an altar on bottom divided by a thick black line with the title, author, and general information about the Repairman Jack novels. The intended reader is adult 18+ because of the sexual themes in some scenes and the violence in action scenes. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- A masterful supernatural thriller and New York Times bestseller returns in trade paperback. Here's how Repairman Jack's story begins...
Much to the chagrin of his girlfriend, Gia, Repairman Jack doesn't deal with appliances: He fixes situations- situations that too often land him in deadly danger. His latest job is to find a stolen necklace, which, unknown to him, is more than a simple piece of jewelry.
Some might say it's cursed, others might call it blessed. Jack's quest leads to a rusty freighter on Manhattan's West Side docks. What he finds in its hold threatens his sanity and the entire city. But worst of all, it threatens Gia's daughter, Vicky, the last surviving member of a bloodline marked for extinction.

Review- Now I have heard about the Repairman Jack novels for years but until now I have not read any of them. I liked it. It was not bad but I do not see why so many people are crazy about it. The writing is strong, the characters are interesting, and I believed that in them and the story. But I do not really feel anything about it. I do not know why. Maybe it is because I grew up on the X-Files, which I can see some influences that Jack had on the X-Files, so maybe I am just too jaded to really get the feel for it. Other than just being lukewarm about it I have no problems with it I have had this problem before with other books and TV shows and the only thing that I can think of is that because I love the X-Files and grew up watching them I just see them before I see the book or new TV series. So I guess that is all there is to be my review.

I give this one Four stars out of Five. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment