Monday, February 25, 2013

The Keep

The Keep
Today's post is on 'The Keep' by F. Paul Wilson and it is the first novel of his Adversary Cycle. It is 428 pages long including a short short of the novel in the Adversary Cycle.  It has been republished by TOR.  The cover is divided in two with the shadowy outline of a man in a circle at the top and on the bottom a castle.  The intended reader is over 18 because of the strong horror themes and  two attempted rapes. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- 'Something is murdering my men."
So reads the message received from a Nazi commander stationed in a small castle high in the remote Transylvanian Alps. Invisible and silent, their powerful enemy selects one victim per night, leaving the bloodless and mutilated corpses behind to terrify behind its future victims.
When even an elite SS extermination squad cannot solve the problem, the panicked Nazis bring in a local expeet on folklore- who happens to be Jewish- to shed some light on the mysterious happenings. Unbeknownst to anyone, there is another visitor on his way: a man who awoke from a nightmare and immediately set out to meet his destiny.
The battle has began: one side, the ultimate evil created by man, and on the other... the unthinkable, unstoppable, unknowing terror that man has inevitable awakened.

Review- I like this book better than the first Repairman Jack novel. The plot is interesting because I have not read anything like this before. Now I have not read a lot of horror but I did not find this very scary. The bad guy is not a vampire but he is the one from which all the legends of vampires come from. The good guy is mysterious when he makes his choice there is light all around of him because he chooses the right thing and stops the villain. But the dialog is not great but it not bad; it just is. The characters do not really do anything to make them special but I admit to having a very high bar. I like Wilson but I am just not getting him. Maybe I need to be into more horror or different horror to really get him. I am not stopping reading him because of this. He is a good writer, I wish that I was a good as he is. I am going to continue reading his Adversary Cycle because I am curious about how he is going to end the world. And maybe that is what you should really take from this review because I am going to continue reading him. I cannot say the same for many of the authors that I have read this year.

I give this book Three stars out of Five. I get nothing for my review, I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment