Friday, February 15, 2013

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
Today's post is on 'The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey' by Trenton Lee Steward and illustrated by Diana Sudyka; it is the second volume in the Mysterious Benedict Society. It is 440 pages long with wonderful illustrations at the start of every chapter. It is published by Little, Brown and Company. The cover has a boat sailing towards the reader with all the characters on it being active. Like Kate is climbing the side of the boat and Sticky is reading a map; While Constance and Reynie are standing together talking. The intended reader is children from about eight on up but an adult can easily read and enjoy this series and I sure do.  There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Children you must not come Stop Dangerous.
The fabulous foursome readers embraced as The Mysterious Benedict Society is back with a new mission: to go on a mind-bending international scavenger hunt designed to engage their individual talents. As the search for all the clues and riddles Mr. Benedict has hidden for them, Reynie, Sticky, Kate and Constance face an unexpected challenge that will reinforce the reasons they were brought together in the first place and require them to fight for the very namesake that united them.
Join The Mysterious Benedict Society at your own risk.

Review- I have reviewed the prequel about Nickolas Benedict earlier this year and again I say how much I love this series. The writing is very strong like the others to that I have read. I did not like Reynie as much in this one but I think that he is undergoing a change from being a child into being a young adult so he is having to learn how to do that. Really all the characters are changing in this story but that is a good thing. Characters have to grow or else they will not be interesting anymore. The main villain is the same with no mystery about who is pulling the strings from the background now and I like that. I like that Steward is being constant with who is who. I have read many books, both adult and children's, where the villain is changing and that change being confusing but Steward is not one of those. If my nephew lived closer to me I would love to read these with him because they are great for boys. The main character, Reynie, is a good character  for boys because he is active, smart, and interested in others. The other characters are fun and the two girls in the series are equals to the boys but everyone is important. Steward does not come out and say but the lesson that everyone is important and has something to give the group is there in big letters if you know what to look for. I cannot recommend this book and series enough.

I give this five stars and I cannot want to read the third one. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment