Friday, February 22, 2013

One Foot in the Grave

One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
Today's post is on 'One Foot in the Grave' by Jeanniene Frost. It is the second in her Night Huntress series. It is 374 pages long with three previews from other books by the same publisher who is Avon which is an imprint of HarperCollins. The cover has the main character Cat looking at the reader as she is astride a very nice motorcycle. The intended reader is female and over 18 but I think that anyone who likes urban fantasy, romance, and vampires being vampires should like this series.  There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- You can run from the grave but you can't hide...
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.
Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head- wanted: dead or half-alive- means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire last forever... and that Bones won't let her get away again.

Review- I do not really like vampires. When I was young my older sister was in love with vampires, when I watched Buffy the only one I liked was Spike (I don't think that I have explain that one), and Twilight was just a mistake on so many levels. I will give Ms. Meyer this: I have not been published, I do not have any fans of my writings, and I do not have millions from my books, so she found something really good and I wish her well. But that said she just was another thing that made vampires not appealing to me. I took a chance with the first novel and if you'll remember my review of the first book I really like it. Cat is fun, she is brave, and she is still all those things in this book. Bones is still bad ass. The plot is not bad, it does its purpose which is to get Cat and Bones back together and tell her who her father is. The action and sex scenes are good, the dialog is believable. If you did not like the first one then do not read the next. I am looking forward to reading the next one because of some of the problems that happen in the end scene of this one; like Cat and Bones getting married in blood. This one is not as funny as the first but I think that is because Cat is older and sadder for the first third of the book. She has been alone for four years and just cannot make a human connection. So when Bones comes back into her life then she really does came back to life. Forgive the puns in this review.

I give this Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought my copy of this book from my local bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment