Friday, March 30, 2018

These Vicious Masks

23688792
Today's post is on These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker, Kelly Zekas. It is the first in their These Vicious Masks trilogy. The cover is grey with a black mask in the center and red ribbon trailing from it. The intended reader is someone who likes historical fantasy, Victorian X-Men, and fast plots. There is very mild foul language, no sex, and mild violence in this book. The story is told from the first person close of the main character. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- England, 1882. Evelyn is bored with society and its expectations. So when her beloved sister, Rose, mysteriously vanishes, she ignores her parents and travels to London to find her, accompanied by the dashing Mr. Kent. But they’re not the only ones looking for Rose. The reclusive, young gentleman Sebastian Braddock is also searching for her, claiming that both sisters have special healing powers. Evelyn is convinced that Sebastian must be mad, until she discovers that his strange tales of extraordinary people are true—and that her sister is in graver danger than she feared.  

Review- I loved this book so much. X-Men in Victorian London is right up my alley. The writing is tight, the characters are fun, and the plot has just the right amount of action, mystery, and love story. The powers are varied and very interesting because they change the how that we see the character, not just how the other characters interact with each other. Evelyn is great, she has the healing powers and she can share them with others around her. The villain is nicely evil enough and I believed that he would do anything to get his end goals, which to him were good but to everyone else he was crazy and beyond help. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next volume and explore more of this world.

I give this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this volume from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment