Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Oversight

18453119

Today's post is on The Oversight by Charlie Fletcher. It is the first in his Oversight Trilogy. It is 434 pages long and is published by Orbit. The cover is a dark green getting light as smoke moves up it with a hand in the center just under the title. The intended reader is someone who likes steampunk, historical urban fantasy, and deep plots. There is some mild language, talk of sex, and lots of violence in this book. Older teens and adults will enjoy this book the most. The story is told from the third person close of many different characters both heroes and villains, giving the reader is best insight into all of them. There Be Spoilers Ahead.


From the back of the book- Only Five still guard the borders between the world.
Once the Oversight, the secret society that polices the lines between the mundane and the magic, counted hundreds of brave souls among its members. Now their number can be tallied on a single hand.
As the borders between the natural and supernatural begin to break down, brutal murders erupt across London, and the fellowships enemies draw ever closer.
Will a screaming girl brought to the Oversight's headquarters be the instrument of their final downfall or their last, best hope of defense?

Review- This book was excellent. The characters were interesting, the plot was good, and the writing was very good. I really like that this is historical urban fantasy. I say that because it happens in a Victorian London, so we have the historical and the urban in one go. Fletcher really plays that up. We have the Fae dealing with urbanization of the countryside. The heroes are of course going up against more powerful foes who have waiting for generations to get revenge on them. The magic in this world is interesting and I hope that we can get more into that. The book ended in a good place. Some questions are answered, some characters still in peril but everything in place for the next book. I borrowed this book from my library but I think that I will be picking it up to own.


I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment