Friday, April 25, 2014

Mossflower

201341

Today’s post is on Mossflower by Brian Jacques. It is the first in his Redwall series. It is 373 pages long and is published by Ace Books. The cover has Martin, Gnoff, and Dinny walking a field on their great journey. There is no language, no sex, and the violence is very fantasy but there is high death toll in this book just to be fair. The story is told from third person close of the main characters moving from one to another within chapters. The intended reader is older children but this book is just wonderful that anyone can really enjoy it. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- The clever and greedy wildcat Tsarmina becomes ruler of all Mossflower Woods and is determined to govern the peaceful woodlanders with an iron paw. The brave mouse Martin and quick-talking mouse thief Gonff meet in the depths of Kotir Castle's dungeon. The two escape and resolve to end Tsarmina's tyrannical rule. Joined by Dinny the mole, Martin and Gonff set off on a dangerous quest for Salamandastron, where they are convinced that their only hope, Boar the Fighter, still lives.

Review- I first read this book when I was about 10 and I just loved it. So I wanted to reread it as an adult and see if it could stand up to adult eyes. It can. I had just a wonderful time reading this book again. I still love every minute of it. The characters, the setting, and the flow of the plot are still just perfect. Gnoff is still my favorite character; he is funny and clever. I still have trouble reading the mole’s speech but that does not annoy me as much as it did when I was a child. I am going to be rereading all of the Redwall books now because if my favorite is still as good then I think all of the others will hold up as well. On a side note I said that this is the first book because of time in that world. This is the first book if you are going by time not publish date. But if you read this one first you will have an idea about where everything in Redwall and later books came from. I highly recommend this book and the rest of the series.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment