Friday, March 21, 2014

The Golden City



17707612
Today’s post is on The Golden City by J. Kathleen Cheney. It is 373 pages long and is published ROC. The cover has the main character looking over shoulder dressed very nicely with the sea and a golden city in the background. There is some language, implied sex, and violence in this book; 16+ and up just to be safe. The intended reader is someone who likes urban fantasy, mysteries, and magic. The story is told in third person close from the point of view of the two main characters. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- For two years, Oriana Paredes has been a spy among the social elite of The Golden City, reporting back to her people, the Sereia, sea folk banned from the city’s shores…
When her employer and only confidante decides to elope, Oriana agrees to Paris. But before they can depart, the two women are abducted and left to drown. Trapped beneath the waves, Oriana survives because of her heritage, but she is forced to watch her only friend die.
Vowing vengeance, Oriana crosses paths with Duilio Ferreira- police consultant who has been investigating the disappearance of a string of servants from the city’s wealthiest homes. Duilio also has a secret: He is a seer and his gifts have led him to Oriana.
Bound by their secrets, not trusting each other completely yet having no choice but to work together, Oriana and Duilio must expose a twisted plot of magic so dark that it could cause the very fabric of history to come undone…

Review-  This book was just great. The setting, the characters, and the mystery were all very good. Cheney can make a scene shine. I know what The Golden City looks like. I want to roam around its streets and eat at the cafes. In addition I love the sea and all the stories about the creatures who live in and both main characters are from the sea. Oriana is a siren and Duilio is half selkie. They both have complicated lives with the sea and living in a pure human world that fears them both. The murders are cold blooded and the killer(s) are more than a little crazy. I so want Cheney to write more in this world. I want to see what happens now that the evil-doers plot was stopped. I want to know more the Sereia and their world. More than anything I want more of Oriana and Duilio. The only thing that I would like is for the dialog to be snappier. The dialog is not bad but it does not sparkle. 

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library and I will be buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment