Friday, March 7, 2014

Crossed

15812814

Today's post is on Crossed by Ally Condie. It is the second in her Matched trilogy. It is 367 pages long and is published by Dutton. The cover has the main character Cassia breaking out of the bubble she is trapped in; the color scheme for this book is blue. The plot is told from the first person point of view of Cassia and Ky varying from chapter to chapter. There is no sex, no language, and only talk of violence in this book. The intended reader is young adult but if you read and like the first book then you should like this one too. There Be Spoilers Ahead.
 
From the dust jacket- Rules are different outside The Society. Chasing down an uncertain future, Cassia makes her way to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky- taken by the Society to his sure death- only to find that he has escaped into the majestic, but treacherous, canyons. On this wild frontier are glimmers of a different life and the enthralling promise of rebellion. But even as Cassia sacrifices everything to reunite with Ky, ingenious surprises from Xander may change the game once again.
Narrated from Cassia's and Ky's points of view, this hotly anticipated sequel to
Matched will take them both to the edge of Society, where nothing is as expected and crosses and double crosses make their path more twisted than ever.
 
Review- I enjoyed book two as much as I did book one. I like the slow burn that Condie is doing with this trilogy. There is a lot of character growth in this book. Cassia is learning to see others not to sort them. She does sort people from time to time then she thinks about what she is doing. Cassia is thinking about what The Society wanted to make her into. I like that Cassia is thinking about why she is doing not just doing. Ky learns that to get the future that he wants he is going to have to change how he acts. In the first book Ky did everything to hide who and what he is. In this volume Ky has to survive and in order to do that Ky has to use both his skills and his brain. Another thing I really enjoyed about this novel/series is that I do not think that any of the characters are whiny. When something bad or unexpected happens Cassia and Ky just deal with it. They keep moving forward. They mourn the sad things and then they get up and keep going. I like that. But I think that the blurb for this book is a little deceiving. In my opinion there are no crosses and double crosses. Yes things like people dying unexpectedly happen but no betrayals.
I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment