Friday, August 16, 2013

The Mirrored Shard

The Mirrored Shard (Iron Codex, #3)
Today’s post is on The Mirrored Shard by Caitlin Kitteredge. It is the last novel in the Iron Codex trilogy. It is 295 pages long and is published by Delacorte Press. The cover has the main character, Aoife, looking at the reader with dramatic makeup on to make her more exotic, she looks older and more confident than on the other covers. The intended reader is young adult female but anyone who like Lovecraft or lovecraftian horror should enjoy this series. There is no sex or language in this book but there is some violence and graphic horror descriptions. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the book jacket- When Dean was shot and killed in the Arctic north, he was ripped not only from the Iron Lands but from Aoife Grayson’s life. Aoife has sworn to bring her love back, even if she must face death to do it. But she can’t get to the Deadlands on her own. And even if she can get there, her foe, Tremaine, will surely block her escape; it is his job to hold her in the Thorn Land, the fairie home of her mother, Nerissa.
Aoife has never shied away from a fight. She’ll do whatever she must to get out of the Thorn Land and to the Deadlands. But to rescue Dean, she must also face the other catastrophe that took place in the north. She must stop the apocalyptic chain of events she set in motion when she opened the Gate to the nightmare realm. Because if she doesn’t, there will be no world to bring Dean back to.

Review- This is the last novel in a trilogy that I have been reading as it has come out. It is a good book but it did not feel like the end of a trilogy to me. I can tell that Kitteredge is gearing up for the next series of novels about this world and Aoife. I have no problem with writing more in a world and this world is interesting and complex but I really wish that she had really ended this series. In the end the Old Ones are still coming, they have promised Aoife that they will get to the Iron Land in her lifetime. So with that as the end I know that the series is not finished. That is not the only way that makes this novel feel like it was rushed or just not finished. The other books are over 400 pages in length and this one is not even 300. Encounters with big, scary things were neither big or scary. I was disappointed with this book. I expected so much from this novel because the others were so good. It was not bad but it was not the best in the series. I will read the next in the series but I am glad that it will be about a year before the next book comes out so that I can get over this disappointment.

I give this one Three out of Five Stars. I get nothing for this review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment