Monday, August 12, 2013

Dreamspinner

Dreamspinner (Nine Kingdoms #7)
Today’s post is on Dreamspinner by Lynn Kurland and is the seventh in her Nine Kingdoms Series; to understand much of what is going on you will need to have read at least one of the first two trilogies but not both. The cover has the main female character, Aisling, aiming a bow at the reader looking fierce. The intended reader is adult but young adults who love well written high fantasy will enjoy this series. There is no sex, no language, some violence but no gore; nothing to worry parents or weak stomachs. It is told from third person close going from Aisling to Rùnach’s point of view from one chapter to another. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Aisling of Bruadair has lived a provincial life, heedless of the evil creeping over her land. That ordinary existence changes forever, though, when she is sent to the opposite end of the world to find a master swordsman. If she fails, her life--and her country's safety--will be forfeit. She just never expected that swordsman to be a wounded elven prince masquerading as a simple soldier. Powerless and scarred from a long-ago conflict, Rùnach of Ceangail has spent years in obscurity, ignoring battles he can no longer fight.  And although he has been drawn back into the world, he fully intends to live an unremarkable life far away from events he knows he cannot change... Until Rùnach meets Aisling and realizes that she is far more than what she seems, that their alliance has attracted unwelcome notice,  and that some battles must be fought.

Review- Allow me to start this review by saying I love this series. When I discovered it two years ago I fell in love with it. I have read the first trilogy but not the second so there some things that I did not know coming in but things like spoilers do not annoy me. This series is on my To Buy List. (Edit I have now bought all the books released so far in this series 8/12/2013) It is well written, fun, and just plain good. There is just one problems and it is the same problem I had with the first book Star of the Morning and that is it takes about 100 pages before you are really hooked into the story. I do not know if Kurland just needs some time to get things going but I warn you about that. That said do not let that stop you from reading this book because it is wonderful. I cannot wait for the next and I am going to be buying them all from Amazon from here on out. I like both main characters and we see old ones from the other books and they just add to the story. Some romantic tropes are here but do not let that annoy you just part of the show. The plot has me guessing at the moment but I was in the same position at the end of the first book in the first trilogy too but I trust Kurland. This is a wonderful series with inventive magic, clever heroes, and evil villains; what fantasy lover would not love this? I know that I do.

I give this one Four and a Half stars because of the slow start. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment