Friday, March 22, 2013

Spark

Spark (Elemental, #2)
Today's post is on 'Spark' by Brigid Kemmerer; it is the second in her Elemental Series. It is published by Kteen Books which is an imprint of Kensinton Publishing. It is 358 pages long including a songlist and a sneak peek of the third novel Spirit. On the cover it has four young men on with one centered, two faded out, and one behind him not faded out. The intended reader is Young Adult but I am a 'normal' adult and I enjoyed this. There are some kissing scenes and a little hinted groping but nothing the normal teenager knows about. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally.
Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can't.
Gabriel has always has his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he's not doing it.
And no one seems to believe him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.
Gabriel can't let her guess about his brothers, about his abilities, about the danger that's right at his heels. But there are some risks he can't help taking.
The fuse is lit...

Review- I really like this series. I read the first one in about two days and in this one in three; and I have something like a life... I guess. The writing is good, the dialog is better in this one than the first, but the plot is a little slower. I think that because Kemmerer is building character instead of plot and it shows in the story. Gabriel is very interesting and he grows over the course of the story. At the start he is just trying to get his life back to normal after the events of Storm but that is just not going to happen. Layne is the kind of girl who is just not noticed and she noticed that Gabriel is not just a jock but he is in trouble too. Through their interactions both characters grow. The villain comes in a little late into the story but I am willing to forgive it because I really enjoyed the romance between Gabriel and Layne. I am looking forward to the next one in the series but the wait until June of this year is a little long but what do I know.

I give this four and half stars out of five. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment