Monday, March 25, 2013

Obsidian

Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Today's post is on 'Obsidian' by Jennifer L. Armentrout. It is book one in the Lux series. It is 379 pages long including three chapters told from Daemon the male leads point of view and the first two chapters of the second novel Opal. It is published by Entangled Publishing. The cover the two main characters with Daemon looking at the reader and Kat, the female lead, with her arms around his neck.; there is lighting in the background telling that a storm is coming. There is some sexuality with a hot make-out scene that leaves both Daemon and Kat topless, some language, and some action scenes but that is it. The intended reader is YA but I am not YA and I have not been YA for many years and this is a great story. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy Internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worth. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out if this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.

Review- When I was a YA there was a really great TV show called Roswell. It is about aliens living in Roswell New Mexico. It was fun, the story was interesting, and the aliens were hot. Having watched, loved, and bought Roswell I can tell so did Armentrout. Daemon is a mix of the two main male characters from that show and Kat is Maria from it. The story is interesting. The passion between them is real and fun to read about. The writing is very good, the pacing is believable, and the bad guys are bad. The only part that felt forced to me was with the only human boy who shows interest in Kat. I saw the whole coming from the first time they talked but it did give Daemon a chance to be heroic so I guess it worked. It is a good first novel, the scene is now set and I am so glad that I have the second book and that the third one is coming out soon. Kat is interesting and fun, she loves books, and is a book review blogger. I think that Armentrout is giving us reviewers out here a wink but I like that about her. Kat talks about how important books are to her and why. I felt that gave her a special something that connects the reader to her in a special way. The three chapters at the end told from Daemon' point-of-view are funny. It is easy to go from Kat to Daemon and I enjoyed reading his thoughts, it was a nice change of pace.

I give this one Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment