Friday, January 25, 2013

Pandemonium

Today's post is on 'Pandemonium' by Lauren Oliver and it is book two in her dystopian series the first one being ' 'Delirium' from the same publishers.. It is published by Harper, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. It is 375 pages long. The intended reader is Young Adult but anyone who likes a dystopian setting should enjoy this series. There is no language or sex for parents to be worried about. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare, pushing aside thoughts of Alex, pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school, push, push, push, like Raven taught me to do. The old life is dead. But the old Lena is dead too. I buried her. I left her beyond a fence, behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Review- I know that the blurb for this one is very little so I will have to make-up some here in my review. After a terrible war the new government in the USA has decided that all problems come from emotions in particular from love or as it is not called amor deliria nervosa. Everyone over the age of 18 has the cure given to them. Then they are free from all emotions; good and bad. In the first book Lena wants nothing more than to be safe and that means cured. In the second book she is now fighting for America's freedom from being cured. The way that this book is told is very interesting because it jumps from the present to the past so we see how Lena changed from who she was into she is at the beginning of the book. The writing is strong but Oliver is a professional and it shows. It is told from first-person so the reader is trapped in her eyes but this is a bad thing here. Because we see things only from Lena's perspective some of the twists in the plot are surprises to us too. Lena is not only the main character she is really the best character in the book. Oliver has the reader caring when she is in dangerous places and the darkness is more present in this second novel than the first.

I give this book Four stars; it is a good, solid second book in a trilogy and I will read that last one in the series which is Requiem. I am getting nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment