Friday, January 11, 2013

Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste

Blood Lite III by Kevin J. AndersonToday's post is on 'Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste' edited by Kevin J Anderson. It is published by Pocket books which is an imprint of Simon & Schuster. It is 513 pages long with 30 authors contributing to the stories. The intended reader is adult and young adult horror lovers but most of the stories are funny with horror elements. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Sink you teeth into a smorgasbord of macabre morsels laced with horrific humor in the all-new Blood Lite collection! Whether you shriek with laughter or scream in fear... well, that's simply a matter of taste. Jim Butcher's wizardly PL Harry Dresden pranks some high-tech monster seekers- and attempts to save a friend's son whose life-energy is slowly being drained by an unknown adversary in "I Was a Teenage Bigfoot." The Author from Hell has dropped dead, but a stress-out editor is harassed by her emails from beyond the grave in Sherrilyn Kenyon's "A Day in the Life." The flesh is weak- and possible even rotting- as a teenage virgin werewolf discovers on a visit to a brothel in Kelley Armstrong's "V Plates." Murder comes alive in "Mannequin," by Heather Graham, as two thrill-seeking couples "axe" for trouble at a B&B with a bloody history.

Review- I enjoyed this collection. It was funny, the writing was spot-on, and all the stories were entertaining. I did not find any of the stories to be scary so have no fear about that. There are stories with zombies, ghosts, vampires and werewolves. I normally do not like zombies stories but my favorite is "Blood-Red Greens" which is  a zombie story. It is just a normal zombie story but the twist at the end is just so great and funny. Really all the zombie stories are funny. I think that everyone is tired of reading 'scary' zombies stories so Anderson had funny ones in this collection. If you have never read an anthology the first and last stories are seen as the most powerful because they are given places of honor in the book. Blood Lite 3 starts with Butcher, which is a funny, fun, and fast read and ends with The Four Horsemen Reunion Tour: An Apocumentary by Lucien Soulban. It is a very strong ending story about the four horsemen of the apocalypse. I have just picked up the first two anthologies and am looking forward to reading them.

My personal rating is five stars but don't take my word for it. Go and read it for yourself. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment