Friday, September 3, 2021

Curse of Honor: A Legend of the Five Rings Novel

Today’s post is on Curse of Honor: A Legend of the Five Rings Novel by David Annandale. It is 331 pages long and is published by Aconyte Books. The cover has a silhouette of a samurai with a tower in the center and small figures at the base. There is mild foul language, no sex, and some violence. Even though this novel is set in the Legend of Five Rings world, you do not need to have played any of the games to enjoy this novel. The story is told from third person of the main characters. There Be Spoilers Ahead.


From the back of the book- Striking Dawn Castle defends the mountains between the Rokugan empire and the demon-haunted Shadowlands. When a mythical city is discovered in the forbidding peaks, Hida Haru, heir and sore disappointment to his family, seizes the opportunity to prove himself. His rash expedition ends in disaster – just one samurai returns alive, and Haru is lost. Before a power struggle can break out, Striking Dawn’s battle-hardened commander, Ochiba, is dispatched to rescue Haru. She succeeds against supernatural horrors, but Haru is… changed. Now, mysterious deaths and ill fortune plague his family. Something evil is loose and must be stopped, at any cost.


Review- This is a great horror-fantasy novel in a setting that I really enjoy. My only complaint is with the blurb on the back. It makes you think that Ocihiba is the main character, she is not. But that is the blurb, not the novel’s fault. The real main character is Barako and she is a good main character. She is interesting, she adapts as the story goes on, and she is resolute to the end. I did figure out who the oni was early on but that is more to do with my experience as a reader than any fault on the writer or plot weakness. I hope that Annandale writes more in this setting. I really enjoyed this novel and I want to read more from him.


I give this novel a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this novel with my own money. 


No comments:

Post a Comment