Monday, October 5, 2020

Kiss Him, Not me!, vol 1

25191822

Today’s post is on Kiss Him, Not me!, vol 1 by Junko. It is 150 pages long and is published by Kodansha Comics. The cover has all the main characters on it with Kae, the female lead, in the center screaming. The intended reader is someone who likes shojo comedy manga. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from first person close of the main character Kae. There Be Spoilers Ahead.


From the back of the book- Hi there! My name is Serinuma Kae.

I’m the kind of girl who loves checking out boys and fantasizing about them getting friendly (and more) with each other—I’m what you might call a fujoshi.

One day, my beloved (yes, he’s an anime character) died, and the shock of it all was more than I could have ever prepared for! My grief over his passing resulted in some ridiculous weight-loss!

And you won’t believe what happened next! Soon after my change, the four most divinely gorgeous boys in my school asked me out on dates! I accepted them all, and you’d think I’d be happy with my sudden popularity, but the truth is, my heart only yearns for a prince to be next to his prince. Ahh, yes, boys, I’d much prefer that you turn your affections elsewhere and KISS HIM, NOT ME!


Review- A really funny start to an interesting manga. Kae the main character is obsessed with boy love anime and manga but when her favorite character dies, she goes into a deep depression and has a very dramatic weight loss. Now she is unrecognizable to just about everyone in school and has to deal with the fact that now she's popular. It's a very Cinderella story but I hope it deals with the problematic aspects of people losing weight to be considered attractive and popular. The story is fairly fast paced and pretty amusing, Kae is a little silly but is likable. All of the boys are okay but her senior is definitely my favorite as he is the only person who could still recognize her in spite of her weight loss. It will be interesting to see where this goes as she is very imaginative, more than a little silly about seeing boy love everywhere, and just not understanding why someone might be interested in going out with her. I look forward to seeing where this amusing manga goes. 


I give this manga a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money. 


No comments:

Post a Comment