Friday, September 6, 2019

The Darkest Legacy


37688046

Today's post is on The Darkest Legacy by Alexandra Bracken. It is 569 pages long and is publishes by Hyperion. The cover has the main character on it  with a golden background around her. The intended reader is someone who has read the first trilogy, likes dystopian fiction, and science fiction-action stories. There is mild foul language, no sex, and violence in this book. The story is told from first person close of the main character Zu. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Five years after the destruction of the so-called rehabilitation camps that imprisoned her and countless other Psi kids, seventeen-year-old Suzume "Zu" Kimura has assumed the role of spokesperson for the interim government, fighting for the rights of Psi kids against a growing tide of misinformation and prejudice. But when she is accused of committing a horrifying act, she is forced to go on the run once more in order to stay alive.
Determined to clear her name, Zu finds herself in an uncomfortable alliance with Roman and Priyanka, two mysterious Psi who could either help her prove her innocence or betray her before she gets the chance. But as they travel in search of safety and answers, and Zu grows closer to the people she knows she shouldn't trust, they uncover even darker things roiling beneath the veneer of the country's recovery. With her future-and the future of all Psi-on the line, Zu must use her powerful voice to fight back against forces that seek to drive the Psi into the shadows and save the friends who were once her protectors.

Review- As someone who loved the original Darkest Minds trilogy, I was very excited to return to that world. In general I was not disappointed. Zu is interesting, the plot is fast, and the writing is good. But I do not think that it was as good as the original. I cannot put my finger on why I feel that way. The plot was interesting but it was done in the last book with greedy adults trying to take advantage of the Psi, Zu is cool but I wanted more of why her yellow abilities are so much stronger than others, like with Ruby we understood why she was considered so special and powerful but I feel that in this book we are told Zu is and are just to believe it. The most interesting part of the plot was the kids being made into Psi-like, with different abilities than the kids who are born Psi. Who and why is very interesting and I thought more engaging than Psi being taken to camps and the like. I think that it would have been a better book if the kids being experimented on and having Zu investigate then save them was the main plot. But I still enjoyed it and if there are more books in the Darkest Minds universe coming I will read them.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment