Friday, June 12, 2020

Summer of Fear


9947386

Today's post is on Summer of Fear by Lois Duncan. It is 256 pages long and published by Little, Brown, and Company. The cover has a faceless red-haired girl on it with the title in the center of her face. The intended reader is someone who likes young adult horror. There is some mild foul language, no sex, and mild violence in this novel. The story is from first person close of the main character Rachel. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- From the moment Rachel's family takes in her orphaned cousin Julia, strange things start to happen. Rachel grows suspicious but soon finds herself alienated from her own life. Julia seems to have enchanted everyone to turn against her, leaving Rachel on her own to discover the truth.
A wax figure and a photograph are all the evidence Rachel has, but she soon suspects that Julia is a witch. But how can she prove it when she has more questions than answers? One thins about Julia is certain- she is not who she says she is, and Rachel's family is in grave danger.

Review- An average young adult horror novel not bad but if you are looking for a real scare then this one is not for you. The writing is fine, the characters are believable but the horror just did not stick with me. Julia is odd and acts strange but I did not find her too scary. Rachel was sympathetic but I would have liked to see she really deal with something horrifying. I wanted more from this novel than it has. If you are looking for a good intro horror novel then you should give this one a try.

I give this novel a Three out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment