Friday, February 1, 2019

Between the Blade and the Heart


34964846

Today's post is on Between the Blade and the Heart by Amanda Hocking. It is the first volume in Valkyrie series. It is 319 pages long and is published by Wednesday Books. The cover is dark purple with a sword rising up the center to make the A in blade. The intended reader is someone who likes urban fantasy. The story is told from first person of the main character. There is mild foul language, sex, and violence in this book. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- As one of Odin's Valkyries, Malin's greatest responsibility is to slay immortals and return them to the underworld. The balance of the world rests on her ability to carry out orders. But when Malin discovers that her mother spared the life of an immortal who was destined to die, her world is thrown into chaos.
As Malin wrestles with the knowledge that her mother might not be who she thought, she’s also thrust into the path of a gorgeous blue-eyed guy named Asher who needs her help slaying the rogue immortal who destroyed his family. Malin, along with her best friend and her ex-girlfriend, must decide where her loyalties lie...and whether helping Asher enact his revenge is worth the risk—to the world and to her heart.

Review- This is a fun and fast urban fantasy read. The characters are interesting, the world is cool, and the rules make sense. My only complaint is I wanted a dictionary in the back so that I look up what monster was what, what their abilities are, and other details. But at was my only complaint. I really enjoyed everything else. Malin is interesting, complex, and she grows over the course of the story. I liked seeing the world through her eyes and experiencing it as she changed. Malin has much to learn about herself and what she can really do, so much more than her mother taught her. It has a cliffhanger ending but it is really cool and I am excited about where the story is going from here.

I give this volume a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment