Friday, February 8, 2019

Animus


35976939

Today's post is on Animus by Antoine Revoy. It is 224 pages long and is published by Macmillan. The cover is dark blue with a child in a mask sitting on a jungle gym in the center. The intended reader is someone who likes comics, Japanese lore, and horror stories. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this book. The story is told from third person close of the characters. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Tucked away in a quiet Japanese neighborhood lies a peculiar playground. There, Hisao and Sayuri meet a masked ghost named Toothless. And there, one of their friends gets hurt. Now they must race against the clock to solve the mystery of who Toothless really- and break the playgrounds curse.

Review- This is an interesting comic that I still have questions about. There are many things that I do not understand about this story. What really happened to Toothless, what happened to Sayuri, what does the detective know, and other things like that. The plot itself is about two kids interacting with a ghost or at least something that says it is a ghost. This comic was more creepy then scary and I would have liked the creepy elements to be turned up more. The main point of the story is about helping the ghost and the consequences of doing that. Revoy's art is excellent and the use of color adds to the story in the few scenes that color is used. I did enjoy this story and I would like to see more in this world maybe following the cop and discovering what is really going on. I would recommend this graphic novel.

I give this comic a Four out of Five stars.  I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this comic from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment