Friday, January 1, 2016

The Golden Princess


20821079

Today's post is on The Golden Princess by S. M. Stirling. It is the eleventh in his Emberverse series. It is 420 pages long and is published by Roc. The cover has the two main characters on it in a desert landscape. The intended reader has read the previous volumes, likes odd dystopian, and very long exposition. There is some mild language, no sex, and violence in this book. The story is told from the main character moving from one to the next per chapter. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket-A new generation faces its own challenges in the world the Change has made.
Princess Ă“rlaith, heir to Rudi Mackenzie, Artos the First, High King of Montival, now wields the Sword of the Lady—and faces a new enemy. Fortunately, she also has a new ally in Reiko, Empress of Japan, who has been pursued to America by a conquering army from Asia.
To combat their mutual foe, Ă“rlaith and Reiko embark on a quest to find the fabled Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, the Grass-Cutting Sword, one of the three great treasures of the Japanese Imperial House. But dreams have revealed that the road to Kusanagi lies through the meganecropolis of the City of Angels, the greatest and most perilous of the dead cities...and beyond it, to a castle in the fearful Valley of Death. And their relentless enemy will stop at nothing to prevent them from succeeding.
For across the Pacific, the great arc of land that stretches from the dark kingdom of Korea to the realm of Capricornia in Australia is threatened by war. Now all the survivors of the Change must choose sides....


Review-  I wanted to like this book but it was so boring. Now I will admit that I have not read any other books in this series and I have the next one sitting my TBR shelf given to me to review. But I am not going to go back and read the first series. This was just so boring that I am now dreading reading the next one. The characters, the setting, and the plot could have been interesting but the exposition that happened for page after page just killed it. So much of this book was just paragraph after paragraph explaining the same things over and over. I just wanted something to happen but nothing did. There are two fight scenes in this book but they both are ruined by the exposition. I was so glad when I finished this book but now I have to read the next one.

I give this book a Two out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment