Monday, February 10, 2014

Goliath

9918083

Today’s post is on Goliath by Scott Westerfeld and illustrated by Keith Thompson. It is the last volume of his Leviathan trilogy. It is 543 pages long including an afterward. The cover has the two main characters on the cover looking heroically at the reader. The story is told from third person close moving from Deryn and Alek’s perspectives over the course of the story. There is no language, no sex, and some violence in this story. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Alek and Deryn are aboard the Leviathan when the ship is ordered to pick up an unusual passenger. This brilliant/maniacal inventor claims to have a weapon called Goliath that can end the war. But whose side is he really on?
While on their top-secret mission, Alek finally discovers Deryn’s deeply kept secret, Two, actually. Not only is Deryn a girl disguised as a guy… she has feelings for Alek.
The crown, true love with a commoner, and the destruction of a great city all hang on Alek’s next- and final- move.
The thunderous conclusion to Scott Westerfeld’s Leviathan series, which was called “Sure to become a classic” (SLJ).

Review- This was a fantastic series. The adventure, the Steampunk, and the characters were just prefect. Alek and Deryn grow so much over the course of the series that they are new people. One thing that I think that Westerfeld would like is now I am interested in learning more about World War 1 because I do not know much about it. Westerfeld has given the world of Steampunk something so great in this series. In Goliath he brings everything to a very good close. I would like to see if he is going to write more with these characters or at least in this fascinating world. Westerfeld does so much world building over the three books and he never drops the ball once. I hope that he does more. The way that he moves from England to the Middle East and then to America over the course of the story feels very real. The reader feels as the characters move from place to place. Alek and Deryn really are the heart of the story and they are such great characters. I am sorry to be done with this series but I am so glad to have read it.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment