Monday, February 3, 2014

Behemoth

7826116

Today’s post is on Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld. It is the second in his Leviathan Trilogy and is 485 pages long including an afterward. The cover has Deryn on looking heroic with lightening and gears around her. The intended reader is young adult but anyone who likes alternate history will love this series. There is no language, no sex, but some violence nothing too intense. The story is told from the third person close of either Deryn or Alek. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- The behemoth is the fiercest creature in the British navy. It can swallow enemy battleships with one bite. The Darwinists will need it, now that they are at war with the Clanker powers.
Deryn is a girl posing as a boy in the British Air Service, and Alek is the heir to an empire posing as a commoner. Finally together aboard the airship Leviathan, they hope to bring the war to a halt. But when disaster strikes the Leviathan’s peacekeeping mission, they find themselves alone and hunted in enemy territory.
Alek and Deryn will need great skill, new allies, and brave hearts to face what’s ahead.

Review- This is a very strong second novel in a trilogy. Westerfeld is an experienced writer so there is no middle volume slump. Instead he ups the game into high gear. More secrets are exposed, more action, and of course more Steampunk. In the first volume it is about the fantastic creatures that the Darwinists make and are making but in Behemoth it is about all the Clanker technology. The only thing I wished for was I wanted to see or read the Behemoth described. That is really left up to the imagination when with a two page picture of it. In the picture you can see part of its head but mostly its teeth. Like the first volume the pictures make a wonderful addition to the story. They help give the background of scenes because, at least for me, as I was reading the scenes I was not getting a lot of detail about the world around the characters but the pictures help make that more real. I am about to start the last novel in the trilogy and I am so excited about it!

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment