Monday, October 14, 2013

The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl

The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl (Geek Girls, #1)

Today’s post is on The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm. It is part of her Geek Girl series and is 333 pages long. It is published by Source Books Casablanca. The cover has the male main character looking at the reader as he unbuttons his shirt and the female main character with big smile on her face looking at him. It is told from the main characters point of view changing from chapter to chapter. There is language, sexuality but no violence. 18 and up because of the sex. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- An avid gamer, Jamie Marten loves to escape into online adventure. But when she falls through an antique mirror into a lavish bedchamber- 200 years in the past! - she realizes she may have escaped a little too far.
Micah Axelby, Earl of Dunnington, has just kicked one mistress out of his bed and isn’t looking to fill it with another- least of all this sassy, nearly naked woman who claims to be from the future. Yet something about her in undeniable enticing…
Jamie and Micah are worlds apart. He’s a peer of the realm. She can barely make rent. He’s horse-drawn. She’s Wi-Fi. But in the game of love, these two will risk everything to win.

Review- I picked this book up because it sounded funny. It is not. It is pretty boring in actuality. Jamie is supposed to be a hardcore gamer girl with her own sense of herself. She is not. I am a hardcore gamer and it was painfully plain that Lamm has never played an MMO or talked to a real live gamer girl. Lamm just plays off the stereotypes that people who do not play have about gamers. Like gamers expect girls to be healers whether they want to or not. That is just not true. Jamie and Micah or, Mike as she likes to call him, are boring. Jamie also is not sassy. How Jamie to be sassy is by cursing in everyday language. I have no problems with cursing, I curse sometimes daily and pretty foully, but that does not make me sassy (Bonus information about me Quentin Tarantino is my favorite director and screenwriter.). She goes from not wanting anything to do with him because he was being an ass to her to in love with him in the space of twenty pages. Mike is not a bad hero but I just did not connect with him or with his relationship with Jamie. Honestly I did not really like anything about this book. It was not funny, it played on stereotypes, the romance was flat, and all the characters were two dimensional. I will not be reading anything else from Gina Lamm and I am just so disappointed in general with her and this book.

I give this book One star out of Five. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment