Monday, October 7, 2013

Across the Universe

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)

Today’s post is on Across the Universe by Beth Revis. It is the first in a trilogy of the same name. It is 398 pages long and it is published by Razorbill. The cover has a beautiful picture of the stars with two faces in profile; they are the main characters Amy and Elder. The intended reader is young adult but an adult who like space drama should enjoy this book. There is some sex both in talk and in action including a rape attempt, some language, and violence so older YA and adult is best. It is told from first person switching from Amy to Elder per chapter. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Amy is a cryogenically frozen passenger aboard the spaceship Godspeed. She has left her boyfriend, friends- and planet- behind to join her parents as a member of Project Ark Ship.
Amy and her parents believe they will wake on a new planet, Centauri-Earth, three hundred years in the future. But fifty years before landing, cryo chamber 42 is mysteriously unplugged and Amy is violently woken from her frozen slumber.
Someone tried to murder her.
Now, Amy is caught inside a tiny world where nothing makes sense. Godspeed’s 2,312 passengers have forfeited all control to Eldest, a tyrannical and frightening leader. And Elder, Eldest’s rebellious teenage heir, is both fascinated with Amy and eager to discover whether he has what it takes to lead.
Amy desperately wants to trust Elder. But should she put her faith in a boy who has never seen life outside the ship’s cold metal walls? All Amy knows is that she and Elder must race to unlock Godspeed’s hidden secrets before whoever wants her dead tries to kill again.

Review- I have some problems with this book but really they did not stop me from enjoying this book. I just did not really connect with Amy or Elder or with their emotions but I still like both characters. The plot itself is nothing new but some of the threads with the history of the ship and how it could get to this point is very interesting and unique. This is the first book I have read by Revis but I will be reading the other books in this trilogy. I am interested in where the story is going. There are some good questions that are left unanswered at the end of book. But I see this as a good starting point for the second book. Where I did not connect with Amy or Elder I did not have that problem with the side characters. The background characters are really good and interesting. They are the ones who are making things move in the story. It is a good strong sci-fi YA and that is something that you just do not see too much of.

I give this book Four and a half stars out of Five. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment