Friday, January 27, 2023

The Slayers and The Sorcerer of Atlas

Today's post is on The Slayers and The Sorcerer of Atlas by Hajime Kanzaka, Rui Araizumi (Illustrator). It is 137 pages long and is published by J-Club Novel. The cover has Gourry on it with the sword of light. As it is the second novel in the series, you need to have read the first one to understand the world and characters. There is no foul language, no sex, and mild violence in this novel. The intended reader is someone who likes high fantasy, humorous stories, and light hearted adventure. The story is told from third person close of the main character, Lina. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

Blurb- At last, Atlas City! Time to put our feet up and enjoy that urban life. You know, some good food, a bar brawl or two, beating up assassins, intervening in politics, solving a kidnapping, wait, what?! No! This sounds like work! Great, and not we've got demons stalking us and spike-shooting wolves pouring in through the windows! Guess I'll have to clean up this fore I get my R&R...

Review- I had a really great time with this Slayers novel, it is more of a mystery than the adventure story from the first volume. Lina and Gourry are just trying to relax and get some good food when a bar brawl happens to them and Lina is not one to let a good fight get in the way of her food. Then they get pulled into a fight between sorcerers trying to become the next head of the local guild. Of course it is not that simple and the more that they discover, the more the city of Atlas looks like big trouble. I had so much fun with volume, because it happens in a city Lina has to think outside of the box. She can't just Dragon Slave everyone into the ground, even Lina knows that's a bad idea. So Gourry and her have to think on their feet and discover the truth about what is happening and try to survive it themselves! I think we see the best parts of Lina in this volume, her brains and we see how much the relationship between her and Gourry has grown. They trust each other now and can work together as a good team. I look forward to the next volume and the return of my favorite character! 

I give this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for this review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment