Monday, July 29, 2019

Skip Beat!, vol 5


282266

Today's post is on Skip Beat!, vol 5 by Yoshiki Nakamura. It is the fifth in her long running series and you need to have read the four volumes previous to understand what is going on. It is 184 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. The cover has Kyoko and Kanae on it looking tough and cool. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this book. The intended reader is someone who likes shojo manga, strong heroines, and funny revenge stories. The story is told from third person close of Kyoko the main character. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Kyoko lands a regular role on a TV show...as a giant chicken. Not content to settle for poultry recognition, Kyoko tries out for a big commercial. At the audition she runs into her Love Me rival Moko, who's having rival woes of her own. With a jealous rich girl out to bring them down, can Kyoko and Moko overcome their difficulties and act as a team to trounce the competition?

Review-  So Kyoko doesn't lose her job as Bo the chicken because she was over the top with Sho but she's still trying to be taken seriously. Add in her very complicated feeling now about Ren and she's got some problems. The plot of the volume is about Kyoko and Kanae aka Moko auditioning for a commercial. But they have some hardcore competition in the form of an old rival of Moko's. The rival has money mostly and little talent but she's not Kyoko or Moko and she knows it. She's used to getting her own way with money and she for some reason has it out for Moko. That is never fully explored in this chapter but I'm okay with that. I loved seeing Kyoko and Moko interacting and just acting together. Kyoko continues to shine and I continue to love her so much. I look forward to whatever the next volume has for me. 

I give this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment