Monday, August 20, 2018

Wake up Sleeping Beauty: volume 1


34593704

Today's post is on Wake up Sleeping Beauty: volume 1 by Megumi Morino. It is 192 pages long and is published by Kodansha. The cover has to the two main characters on it with Tetsu looking at the reader and Shizu sleeping on his shoulder. The intended reader is someone who likes shojo manga, romance, and a little spiritual subplot. There is no foul language, no sex, and no voilence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of Tetsu.

From the back of the book- The Awakening
High schooler Tetsu Misato is hardworking, frugal, and easily scared, but he commits to a part-time job at the mansion on the hill- the one that's rumored to be haunted. As he toils away, he notices a building separate from the estate, and the mysterious girl who lives with it: Shizu Karasawa. Tetsu slowly becomes enchanted by Shizu lonely smile, but by their second encounter, he quickly finds himself in over his head. There's an unsettling feeling he can't quite shake, but there's love there, too.

Review- This is an interesting start to a shojo series. Tetsu is working hard for some reason and does not want to go to college. His father wants him to and so they make a bet. If Tetsu can keep his spring break job, then he can work. He meets Shizu and he feels sorry for her. She is totally isolated from the world and something is odd about her. The plot did keep me guessing, I was not sure what was going on until the revel at the end of the volume. I liked the characters, I am on board with the plot now but until the big reveal I wasn't, the art is good, and I am very curious about how Tetsu is going to help Shizu because she has quite a problem. The volume ends with Tetsu starting to be her personal housekeeper and Shizu wanting him to be her friend. I am looking forward to seeing where Tetsu and Shizu are going.

I give this volume a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment