Friday, September 15, 2017

Down Among the Sticks and Bones


31450908

Today's post is on Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire. It is the second in her Wayward Children series but you do not have to have read the first novel to understand the story as this is a prequel to the first one. It is 187 pages long and is published by TOR Books. The intended reader is someone who likes horror fiction, fantastical places, and beautiful writing. There is no foul language, implied sex, and mild violence in this book. The story is told from first person god perspective. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Twin sisters Jack and Jill were seventeen when they found their way home and were packed off to Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children.
This is the story of what happened first…
Jacqueline was her mother’s perfect daughter—polite and quiet, always dressed as a princess. If her mother was sometimes a little strict, it’s because crafting the perfect daughter takes discipline.
Jillian was her father’s perfect daughter—adventurous, thrill-seeking, and a bit of a tom-boy. He really would have preferred a son, but you work with what you've got.
They were five when they learned that grown-ups can’t be trusted.
They were twelve when they walked down the impossible staircase and discovered that the pretense of love can never be enough to prepare you a life filled with magic in a land filled with mad scientists and death and choices.
 

Review- I loved the first Wayward Children book and this one is no different. I loved seeing the world that Jack and Jill call home. I loved the ruby-red moon that hangs likes a judging eye, watching everything. McGuire pulls the reader back into the world(s) that children can find stairs in a truck of old clothes and disappear for five years. We follow Jack and Jill and see them like we are watching from the moon, unable to help or stop the end from racing towards them and us. I knew how the story ended but seeing for myself with them was very satisfying. I pitied Jill more in this book than in Every Heart a Doorway, and my heart ached more for Jack and what she truly lost when Jill pushed too far. But now we have their full story and I would love to see where they go from the ending of EHAD. I cannot wait for the next novella which is out in January 2018.

I give this novella a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment