Monday, April 6, 2015

XXXholic volume 1

228063

Today's post is on XXXholic volume 1 by CLAMP. It is published by DEL REY and is 176 pages long. The cover has the two main character looking smokey and mysterious. The intended reader is someone who is interested in huge plots, interesting characters, and very beautiful art. There is no language, no sex, and no violence. The story is told in third person but it sticks with Watanuki so we see what he sees. There Be Spoilers Ahead.


From the back of the book- Watanuki Kimihiro is haunted by visions of ghosts and spirits. Seemingly by chance, he encounters a mysterious witch named Yuko, who claims that she can help. In desperation he accepts, but realizes that he's just been tricked into working for Yuko in order to pay off the cost of her services. Soon he's employed in her little shop- a job that turns out to be nothing like his previous work experience!
Most of Yuko's customer's live in Japan, but Yuko and Watanuki are about to have some unusual visitors named Sakura and Syaoran from a land called Clow...


Review- In my great re-read slash finish for the first time I have just bought all of XXXHolic. I love the authors/artists CLAMP. The manga is full of Japanese lore and legends so I loved all the volumes that I had read. In this we get an idea about the world that Watanuki lives in. He is tormented by ghost and other spirits all his life. Yuko does explain that she can free him of this but she does not tell him how much that would cost. A lot of money but since Watanuki is a student without any family the way he can pay her is to work for her. Of course there is more going on than that and Yuko knows it. The art is some of the most beautiful of CLAMP's in my opinion. I look forward to going on this journey with Watanuki all the way to the end this time.


I give this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment