Friday, November 15, 2013

Insurgent

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)

Today’s post is on Insurgent by Veronica Roth It is 525 pages and is published by Katherine Tegen Books. It is the second in Divergent series. The cover is a grey-green with a tree in a circle of its own leaves and the outline of Chicago in the background. The Intended reader is young adult or dystopian fans. There is no sex, no language and lots of violence like the first one. It is told from person point of view of Tris the main character; just like the first novel. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- One choice can transform you- or it can destroy you. But, every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save herself- while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love. Tris’s initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grow. And in times of wars, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable- and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

Review- This book picks up where the first one stops so no time is lost in the telling. Roth does some things that I really like in Insurgent like having Tris deal with that fact that she killed people in the uprising. Tris undergoes some interesting character changes because of the murders that she saw and the killing that she had to do herself. The romance is still in the back burner of the novel with the mystery of why the leader of one of the factions murdered so many people. The final twist in the novel was confusing and out of the blue. I can see where Roth is going with the third novel but I can why she wanted to go that way. Basically we as humans have forgotten what it is to be human so we sent some people to live in isolation so that they could learn to be human again then maybe they could lead everyone else back to some kind of morality. So yeah… I do not know why she decided to do that but whatever. I liked this more than Divergent but I think that Roth is going to go weird with the plot. I want to trust her but something just stops me from doing that. I hope that I am wrong; I hope that Roth does not go into some preachy morality play thing for the third novel. She can surprise me and I dearly hope that she does.

I give this book Four stars out of Five. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment