Monday, September 23, 2013

The Ghost and The Goth

The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
Today’s post is on The Ghost and The Goth by Stacey Kade. It is the first in The Ghost and The Goth series and is 281 pages long. It is published by Hyperion. The intended reader is young adult but anyone who was or is goth, likes funny stories, or interesting ghost stories should enjoy this one. The cover has a beautiful blue sky with a boy and a girl sitting on a bench. The girl is looking at the reader smiling but see-though and the guy is in black not looking at either the reader or the girl. There is some language, talk of sexuality but no violence. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- The Ghost- It’s not my fault I was born with it all- good looks, silky blond hair, and a keen sense of what everyone should not be wearing. My life isn’t perfect, though, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks- could there be a worse fate? As it turns out, yes- I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. To top it off, the only person who can see or hear me is Will Killian, TOTAL loser boy, and he refuses to help!
I need to get control of my afterlife, and fast, before I’m dead AND gone for good. If I can get Will to talk to me, I might have a chance. But that means trusting him with my secrets… and I don’t trust anyone, living or dead.
The Goth- My mom thinks I’m crazy. My shrink wants to lock me up. Basically, my life sucks. And that was before the homecoming queen started haunting me. Alona Dare was a pain when she was alive; dead, she’s even worse.
Yeah, I can see, hear, and touch ghosts. With just a few weeks of school left, all I want to do is graduate and get out of here, find some place with less spiritual interference. But with a dead cheerleader who won’t leave me alone, and a violent new ghost who wants me dead… I’m screwed.
Alona and I might be able to help each other… if we can stop hating each other long enough to try.
Yeah, right.

Review- I read this from curiosity but I really enjoyed this novel. It is funny, clever and has great dialogue. The banter between Alona and Will is really good and fun. I liked that both main characters are a little older Will is eighteen and Alona is on permanently seventeen but they act like reasonable human beings. They both have some temper flare ups but nothing out of character or out of story. The underlying themes of forgiveness and honesty are nice and not overdone. In fact unless you are looking for the one about honesty you may not even notice it but that is a thing for me personally. I am looking forward to reading the second one. I do highly recommend this book.

I give this book a Five out Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library but I may be buying this series because I really did enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment