Monday, July 22, 2013

The Selection

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
Today’s post is on “The Selection” by Kiera Cass. It is 327 pages long and is published by Harperteen. The cover has a girl, with red hair, looking at the reader with half her face covered by her arm, she is dressed in a lovely, puffy blue gown, with other girls around her dressed the same. The intended reader is young adult but I think that most grown women could enjoy this one. There is no sex, just some kissing, no language, and no gore; some action but little violence. If you are over the age of 14 to 15 you should be just fine. It is told from first person point of view by America. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Review- I expected to enjoy this book but not as much as I did. It was fun to read, America was an interesting main character, and I want to know where Cass is going with it. I liked that America was honest with herself and those around her. She does not  want to be there and she tells the prince so but she is willing to be there for her family. Every week she is part of The Selection her family gets money and they need money badly. The world is not as dark as The Hunger Games but it is in a similar vein; so if you love THG then you need to try this one. But not as dark I mean that America is not a lower class like Katniss is/was. She is a musician and in her world that makes her a Five. All the people are broken into castes with Ones and royalty at the top all the way down to Eights at the bottom who are homeless. Normally I am all about the first person that the main character loves, loyalty and all that but not this time. I like the prince better, he is kind, he wants to be both a good man and a good king, and he is willing to prove it. Her first love Aspen is a dick in general and I think that he was/is manipulative.  So I am hoping America needs up with him but I do not know where that part of the story is going to go. I know that she is going to help make the lives of her people better just because she is now in a place of power and America is not going to waste it. She is a nice change from the usual YA heroine.

I give this one Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment