Friday, June 14, 2013

Every Day

Every Day
Today's post is on "Every Day" by David Levithan. It is 336 pages long or 7 disc because I listened to it. It is published by Knopf Books and is read by Alex McKenna. The cover has multiple teenagers falling from a sky filled with clouds with the sun breaking through behind them. The intended reader is young adult. There is talk of sex, underage drinking, drug use, and general teenage misbehavior. So parents read it first to see if it okay for your teen. It is told from first person point of view of the main character A. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Every morning, A wakes in a different person’s body, a different person’s life. There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A had made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.
It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with- day in, day out, day after day.
With his new novel David Levithan has pushed himself to new creative heights. He has written a captivating story that will fascinate listeners are they begin to comprehend the complexities of life and love in A’s world, as A and Rhiannon seek to discover if you can truly love someone who is destined to change every day.

Review- This is one of the books that I had to read for my young adult librarian class in grad school. The premise sounds great and I love Quantum Leap the TV series from the late 80 and early 90’s. This is not that. This is a very boring story. I honestly did not care about any of the characters before the end of the first disc. When I finished it I was like ‘Oh god there are six more’. A talks about being afraid that one day he will leap into a body that is dying and I was like ‘Yes please because then you would die and this stupid book would be over’. I had to play a video game just to keep myself awake to listen to this insipid book. The writing, I guess, is okay and the narrator was fine but the plot, the characters, the setting was all just so boring. When A discovers that there are more ‘people’ like him that is when a sort of villain appears. He is an ‘evil leaper’ but honestly I did not care. When A discovers that he can stay in a body for more than one day but that would kill the real person I did not care. Nothing in this book made me care. It does not help that it feels like Levithan has an agenda. One day A is in the body of a drug addict and how sad that he has to go through withdrawal, then he is a gay boy with a boyfriend, then he is a suicidal girl and only he can help her. I felt like Levithan was trying to force feed me some agenda about how all people are just alike and we need love everyone and to see past our differences. I am saying that we should but I do not like having it forced down my throat. I am so glad to be done with this stupid, boring book.

I give One star out of Five. I borrowed this from my professor and I will never read it again nor recommend to anyone; unless they are having trouble sleeping then I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment